5 Signs You Need A New Mattress
We've all been there. We've all slept at relatives homes on mattresses where you can feel the coils dig into your spine as you toss and turn. Or, the beloved pull out couch that feels worse in the morning. How do you determine if a new mattress would be of benefit? Read below to find out!
Signs you need a new mattress:
1. Your back or neck is sore or achy when you wake up. If you've just spent 8 hours in a mattress that doesn't offer you the support you need, waking up with back pain daily is a sign that you may benefit from a new mattress.
2. You sleep better at a Hotel. If you notice you sleep better and your back hurts less when sleeping away from home, you may benefit from a new mattress.
3. Your current mattress has a visible and permanent sag. Can you identify exactly where you sleep each night based on the shape of the bed? Do you feel like you sag, or constantly roll into the centre of the mattress? These are signs that your mattress is likely past its prime.
4. You wake up feeling tired. Excluding any other medical reasons, waking up feeling tired could be a sign you are tossing and turning throughout the night, and not getting quality sleep.
5. Your mattress is more than 8 years old. While mattresses these days are made better than their counterparts from 30 years ago, they still have a limited lifespan. Think about it, you sleep in your bed 50 weeks a year, 8 hours a night, that equates to 56 hours/week, or 2800 hours per year! The materials are bound to break down at some point, and likely stop supporting your spine the way it needs. In addition, your body and its needs change over time, so what supported your spine when you first bought the mattress, likely has changed over the years.
*Before you go to purchase a new mattress, make sure you have rotated your mattress! With pillow top mattresses this can make a big difference in terms of support and comfort. A mattress should be rotated every 3 months for best support. If you try rotating it, and you still notice the above signs, then looking into a new mattress is a good idea!